"GREEN" Now an Organic Part of Architecture
|Sustainable Design with ArchiCAD||EcoDesigner Brochure Download|
|EcoDesigner Download||EcoDesigner Trial & Educational Download|
Watch the recording of the “Green” BIM presentation. In addition to the live webinar material, this movie includes several extras, e.g. detailed information on energy calculation result accuracy, post processing of the building geometry etc.
The Number One Building Energy Information Modeling Tool
Since its release as the world's first fully CAD-integrated building energy modeling application, architects worldwide have embraced EcoDesigner as the must-have BIM tool for the early architectural design stage. Critically acclaimed as well, the program received a "HAMMER" Environmental Product of the Year 2009 award.
Building Energy Information Modeling
Simultaneously with the release of ArchiCAD 14, GRAPHISOFT is proud to introduce the new version of the world's number one building energy information modeling tool to the BIM market. EcoDesigner for ArchiCAD 14 offers numerous new features covering three main areas:
- a feature set that supports sustainable architectural solutions equally for all climate regions;
- a dynamic calculation engine capable of precisely evaluating complex building geometries and MEP systems;
- detailed results that display all relevant information regarding a building's energy systems
The New EcoDesigner User Guide
A combination of the updated manual and the Advanced EcoDesigner User Guide, this documentation explains the new features of EcoDesigner for ArchiCAD 14 in detail, and contains all the information necessary to perform the dynamic energy evaluation of ArchiCAD models. From the explanation of the fundamental terms of building physics to advanced software customization, it enables every user to utilize EcoDesigner to its full potential.
The truth of sustainable design is that approximately 80% of the design decisions that influence a building's energy performance are made by the architect in the early design phase; the remaining 20% are made by engineers at the later phases of design. Therefore, it is critical for architects to be able to utilize a quick and reliable energy performance evaluation at the earliest stage of the building design process.
Using GRAPHISOFT EcoDesigner, architects can easily analyze their design, at an early stage, for energy efficiency. Providing invaluable feedback on the building's energy performance means the architect can make better decisions on how to conform to regulations and satisfy the interests of the client and the operator of the building. Ultimately, with energy efficiency, we all win!
"Energy efficiency is becoming a key factor. ArchiCAD allows the Architect to positively affect the design at the earliest and most convenient phase."
Teemu Kurkela, CEO, JKMM Architects, Finland
"Sustainable architecture" is the practice of designing, constructing and maintaining buildings in a way that their environmental impact is minimized. One of the most important aspects of sustainable design is energy efficiency - a drive to reduce the amount of energy a building consumes during its life-span.
GRAPHISOFT EcoDesigner enables architects to quickly and efficiently evaluate design alternatives based on energy consumption, carbon footprint and monthly energy balance.
"We were determined to create a new, livable and efficient home. Being able to model your design, site, environment and green strategies all within a single BIM model made attaining this goal much easier."
Carol Richard, Richard Wittschiebe Hand (RWH) Architects, WI, USA on Wisconsin's first LEED Platinum Home
The relationship between building volumes, proposed area, and orientation of glazed surfaces, as well as the properties of the external shading options, all influence the future energy consumption and determine the overall look of the design. Selecting the right design alternative that delivers better energy performance is becoming vital for client presentations.
Now architects can evaluate energy performance from within ArchiCAD. GRAPHISOFT EcoDesigner is available from ArchiCAD and the best news is that all architects can use it right away!
With EcoDesigner, the ArchiCAD Virtual Building becomes an even more intelligent "BIM" model, right from the very first concept design.
"As environmentally conscious architects, the ability to quickly and effectively perform energy analyses on our building models is beneficial to us and it adds tremendous value to our clients."
Russ Sanders, AIA, Orcutt | Winslow, US
Sustainable Design with ArchiCAD
Green design has been embraced openly by many architectural firms worldwide. They appreciate the ecological value and financial sense of developing a truly green design. Architects who actively take 'green' decisions early on are saving their clients real money, now and in the future. EcoDesigner, coupled with ArchiCAD's open standards, place the Virtual Building™ at the heart of energy analysis.
GRAPHISOFT EcoDesigner uses a simple, three-step workflow to determine the energy characteristics of the project: Analyze > Calculate > Results.
"The Green Buildings concept is no longer earth-berm houses and grass roofs, but an intelligent business decision."
Brian Malarkey, AIA, LEED-accredited, Kirksey, U.S.
- Automated structure markup helps to define the structure groups as the basis of energy calculations.
- The selected structures are displayed with colors on the floor plans and also in 3D for easier identification.
- The Model Review Palette helps designers to alter the building physics classification of the ArchiCAD model's structural elements in a user-friendly way.
Calculation data input
Location & Function
- Building Location - the Project North, Grade level to project zero, Wind protection and Surrounding surfaces settings define basic site characteristics and the building's situation on the site, while Façade Shadings determine shadows on the building's elevations.
- Activity Type - define building function or multiple functions (offices, residential buildings, hospitals, schools, various industries, etc.) to assign day-by-day internal temperature and internal heat gain profiles (including human and equipment-related heat loads) to the project.
- Structures of the building envelope are automatically listed with their default physical properties. These may be reviewed or changed. Use the extensive built-in material database to assemble composites, and the U-value Calculator to control their heat transfer characteristics. It is also possible to set the heat transfer coefficient of multiple structure groups directly, using the U-value override function.
The list of fenestration and external doors is compiled by EcoDesigner, automatically. Use the Openings Catalog to assign performance data to openings, or enter specific product properties manually, then equip fenestration with fixed or mobile shading devices, in order to control solar gains.
MEP Systems & Energy
The relevant information about Heating, Cooling, Ventilation, Hot Water Generation and Interior Lighting is essential for accurate calculations. The correct definition of Energy Prices and Sources enable EcoDesigner to calculate the building's annual Energy Supply Costs and Carbon Footprint accurately.
Substituting fossil fuels with green energy sources not only lower the carbon footprints of buildings, but they can be very economical, too. EcoDesigner is capable of dynamically calculating the effect of the installation of air-to-air recovery system types, solar collectors and various heat pump types on the energy household of buildings. Combine several green MEP systems, or use them for multiple purposes simultaneously, to evaluate the resulting carbon emission reductions and cost benefits.
When all necessary input data is provided, activate the StruSoft VIPCore Calculation Engine to perform the dynamic analysis that determines the building's energy balance at every hour, throughout one year. The calculation results are handled in XML format.
Energy Balance Evaluation Report
The Building Energy Evaluation Report is an easy-to-read representation of the yearly energy balance simulation results, instantly available in PDF format. It displays the evaluation of the building shell, the detailed energy balance, the energy consumption with related costs and the carbon footprint, thus providing a holistic overview of the building's performance.
- Key Values - in the first section of the Energy Balance Evaluation report sheet, general project information (Location, Activity Type and Evaluation Date) is displayed alongside the geometry summary and the building shell thermal performance data.
- Energy Consumption - total and specific energy source consumption values and prices are listed in this section. Effortlessly compare the amounts of different energy types (e.g. gas, oil, coal, nuclear energy, electricity) the building consumes relative to the total energy need and to each other, using the Energy Consumption pie chart.
- Carbon Footprint - this index provides information on the carbon dioxide emissions resulting from the building's operation over the course of one year. The area of the tropical forest that absorbs this carbon dioxide quantity is also included for comparison.
- Monthly Energy Balance - this bar chart is a detailed, yet easy-to- visualize graphical display of the monthly magnitudes of all energy flows emitted by the building and energy flows that are supplied to the building. The components that make up the energy balance are listed next to the chart, enabling users to have a complete and detailed picture of the building as a physical system, at a glance.
System Requirements for Viewing Flash Movies and PDF Documents
Download Adobe Reader – To open the downloadable PDF documents, you need to have a PDF viewer application installed on your computer.
EcoDesigner in the Press
AECMAGAZINE, US - EcoDesigner & Virtual Building Explorer - by Martyn Day
Originating from Hungary in 1982, GRAPHISOFT's ArchiCAD is the most mature 3D Building Information Modelling solution on the market. With a very loyal installed base over Europe and America, the company regularly produces updates and add-ons. Martyn Day evaluates two of the latest enhancements.
CAD User AEC Magazine, US - EcoDesigner - by David Chadwick
GRAPHISOFT's EcoDesigner has a neat twist with its energy evaluation results, says David Chadwick. As well as showing you how your proposed building will perform, it will also graphically illustrate how many hectares of rainforest will be needed to absorb the carbon dioxide you will be churning out.
V1 Magazine, Germany - EcoDesigner - by Miklos Sved
Architectural design decisions can significantly impact energy efficiency and can result in substantial operational cost reductions over the lifecycle of a building. To achieve these benefits a new software has been developed that helps designers and architects to model building energetics performance at the critical early design stage. Now design options can easily be evaluated prior to construction for performance efficiency. EcoDesigner is a next generation design tool that brings energy efficiency to the forefront of architectural design. Let "Green" Become an Organic Part of the Architectural Design Workflow.
achitosh, US - Green BIM: Sustainable Design with Building Information Modeling by Matthew Brewster
EcoDesigner is a new plug-in for GRAPHISOFT's BIM application, ArchiCAD. As soon as a design takes shape, comparative energy reports can be generated with a click. The resulting reports give feedback about the buildings energy usage, yearly utility costs, and carbon footprint.
achitosh, US - AIA: Talking to Viktor Varkonyi about EcoDesigner by Anthony Frausto-Robledo LEED AP
EcoDesigner, which will be released at the end of May, is a GRAPHISOFT add-on software module to its award-winning BIM application ArchiCAD. What primarily sets this application apart from similar energy analysis applications is that it works directly inside ArchiCAD, thereby eliminating the need to export BIM data out to another software package in order to obtain feedback on the design with respect to energy.
AECbytes, US - Sustainable Design Tools Exhibited at AIA 2009 by Lachmi Khemlani
One of the most significant announcements related to sustainable design at the AIA show this year came from GRAPHISOFT, which launched a new energy evaluation tool, EcoDesigner, that works inside of ArchiCAD. It is the only analysis application so far that is fully integrated within a BIM application, allowing ArchiCAD users an easy way to analyze the energy performance of a proposed building design in the earliest design phases, when the most critical decisions that influence energy performance are made.
cadalyst, US - Event Report: AIA 2009 Convention and Design Exposition by Kenneth Wong
GRAPHISOFT is adding an energy analysis feature to ArchiCAD, its flagship architectural design solution. Made available via a button integrated in the ArchiCAD interface, GRAPHISOFT EcoDesigner is literally a single-click solution.
ARCHITECHTONLINE - GRAPHISOFT EcoDesigner - 'Green' Becomes Organic Part of the Architectural Design Workflow by PRNewswire
GRAPHISOFT EcoDesigner is an integrated, easy-to-use energy evaluation tool for architects. EcoDesigner enables architects to control the energy consumption of their buildings, and sets new standards in sustainable design, making ArchiCAD the leading software solution for contemporary architectural demands.